- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 pound spinach
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sumac
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 24 small pies or 12 medium pies
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the water. Let sit for a minute before stirring to combine. Let sit until frothy, about 10 minutes. In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with a dough blade, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Gradually stir in the oil, then the yeast and water combo, until dough comes together.On a lightly greased surface, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Remove to colander and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl combine onions with sumac, salt, paprika, black pepper and cayenne. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze all excess moisture.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, and pomegranate molasses. Pour over the filling ingredients until just moistened, not wet.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or lightly grease). Divide the dough in half, covering one half as you work. On a large, oiled work surface, roll half the dough until thin, 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Use a 4 inch wide circle cutter to cut out circles. Place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of each. Pinch together three edges of the circle over the center of the filling. Seal down one side, then across the other to form a pyramid shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining circles and other half of dough.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Ready to kick the tires?
Sign up and get going today, or request a demo to get a tour from an expert.