Equinix Metal provides an API-driven bare metal platform that combines the automation experience of the cloud with the benefits of physical, bare metal servers.
What is it?
Equinix Metal CLI is a command-line interface tool that allows users to manage their Equinix Metal resources from the command line. It is a powerful tool that enables developers to automate and streamline their workflows.
With the Equinix Metal CLI, users can create, delete, and manage Equinix Metal projects, devices, and networks. Users can also use the CLI to retrieve information about their Equinix Metal resources, such as IP addresses, metadata, and usage statistics.
The Equinix Metal CLI is designed to be easy to use and flexible enough to be integrated into any workflow. It is available for download on the Equinix Metal website and can be installed on Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems. This is the simplest way to interact with the Metal API. Users can output their information in different formats such as yaml, json, etc.
Why do we love it?
There are several benefits of using Equinix Metal CLI:
- Time-Savings: Users can perform tasks quickly and efficiently from the command line.
- Automation: The CLI allows users to automate their workflows, making it easier to manage Equinix Metal resources.
- Flexibility: The Equinix Metal CLI is flexible and can be integrated into any workflow. Users can customize and script their workflows to suit their specific needs.
- Efficiency: Using the CLI provides a more efficient way to manage Equinix Metal resources, reducing the risk of errors and making it easier to manage large environments.
- Easy to use: The CLI employs a simple syntax that makes it easy to learn and use.
- Versatile: Equinix Metal CLI can be used on multiple operating systems, including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Overall, the Equinix Metal CLI makes it easier for developers to manage their Equinix Metal resources, saving time and increasing productivity.
How do you use it?
supported by Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
Follow the steps below to install and use Metal CLI.
Install Metal CLI (from Binary Source)
To install Metal CLI from binary source, run the following command:
go install github.com/equinix/metal-cli/cmd/metal@latest
After installation, initialize Metal CLI by running:
Install Metal CLI (Homebrew)
Alternatively, you can install Metal CLI using Homebrew. Run the following commands:
brew tap equinix/homebrew-tap
brew install metal-cli
Before using Metal CLI, you need to authenticate. To authenticate, export your API token by running the following command:
To list all projects, run the following command:
metal project get
Get a Project
To get a specific project, run the following command:
metal project get -i [project_UUID]
Create a Device
To create a device, run the following command:
metal device create --hostname [hostname] --plan [plan] --facility [facility_code] --operating-system [operating_system] --project-id [project_UUID]
Get a Device
To get a specific device, run the following command:
metal device get --id [device_UUID]
To get a list of devices in a project, run the following command:
metal devices get --project-id $ID --yaml --exclude=ssh_keys,plan --include=project
Ready to kick the tires?
Sign up and get going today, or request a demo to get a tour from an expert.